Wednesday, August 17, 2011

On August

Screen shot 2011-08-17 at 6.16.02 PM

When August rolls around I always end up thinking about this old Slate article about how nothing good ever happens in August. There are no holidays in August, wars have started in August, and Elvis died in August.

Ok, so perhaps it doesn't have the best historical or political track record. In spite of that, August has the happy task of beginning the transition from summer to fall. Some might argue that that happens in September, but I think it's August that is simultaneously full of the last joys of summer and the first glimmers of fall. So, to make use of the last of the year's warm, sunny days, here's what I'm looking forward to for the rest of August.

tomato rainbow

Tomatoes. When I was a kid, my Dad's tomato plants took over our garden every summer. My favorites were the yellow lightbulb-shaped ones that my sister (who called them "tom-a-tah-moes") and I would steal, warmed by the sun, right off the vine, and sneakily pop into our mouths while outside playing.

tomato rainbow

Frozen treats. Not that I don't love a good ice cream cone in winter (I do), but there's something decidedly summer about racing the drip of ice cream down your cone and winning.

tomato rainbow

Summer reading. Some books just have to be read in the summer, preferably outdoors. I've already mentioned my habit of rereading Gatsby in the summer, and I'm told the book I've just started (A Tree Grows In Brooklyn) is prime summer reading material.

tomato rainbow

Eating outside. Picnics, BBQs, park benches, or even the sidewalk. Bugs, schmugs.

tomato rainbow

Last swims. So far I've taking a dip in the ocean, two rivers, and a friend's kiddie pool. I want to do each one once more before my bathing suit gets retired.

Did I miss anything? What are you looking forward to in the final weeks before fall?

Images via: Diary Of A Daydreamerskinnylaminx on flickr, Katie at Simple Bites, Harris Tweed, Paul Ferney for Oh Happy Day, and Quin Bisset.

2 comments:

  1. August is the best time for swimming here because the water has finally warmed up. And I always look forward, at the end of August, to seeing friends I haven't seen all summer because our vacation schedules didn't sync up ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm... frozen treats. I really need to get another rainbow sprinkled Mister Softee (or 3) before the vans go into hibernation.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...