Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thanksgiving Cocktails: The Hudson Sour

Untitled

Somehow, November is halfway over and Thanksgiving is upon us. I've been making Thanksgiving dinner for friends for awhile now (see some of my prep tips here) and I don't change up what I serve all that much, which frees me up to focus on another fun part of the meal: cocktails. I'd love to share two of my favorites with you (today and next week), starting with my take on the whiskey sour: the Hudson Sour.

Untitled

My friends and I mixed up this take on a classic whiskey sour during our Hudson weekend, hence the name. It blends bourbon, fresh lemon juice (none of that icky sour mix!) and cinnamon-infused maple syrup into a cocktail that tastes like fall on ice, both warming and crisp. We found the maple syrup pictured above in a little general store in Hudson, where the owner told us about his recent trip to the farm to visit the maple trees, making this drink all the more Hudson-y.

Untitled

The Hudson Sour
This drink is easier thought of as equal parts lemon juice and bourbon, with maple syrup to taste. But I've listed the measurements out here to make a cocktail for one. Multiply as necessary and enjoy while the turkey roasts.

1 1/2 oz. bourbon
1 1/2 oz. fresh lemon juice
3/4 oz. cinnamon-infused maple syrup (recipe follows)

Combine bourbon, lemon juice and maple syrup in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake well and pour over ice. Garnish with lemon zest and a bourbon cherry, if you like.

Cinnamon-infused Maple Syrup

maple syrup (I like grade A dark amber)
whole cinnamon sticks

Over low heat, combine maple syrup and cinnamon sticks. For every 1/2 cup of maple syrup, use one cinnamon stick. Bring the syrup very slowly to a low boil. Boil for 3 minutes, then remove from heat. Allow the syrup to cool completely with the cinnamon sticks, it's even better if you allow this to sit for a few days before using.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...