Monday, November 5, 2012

A Weekend Without Pictures

Untitled

Before Hurricane/Superstorm/Frankenstorm Sandy hit, I was planning a lighthearted "Hurricane in Pictures" post. As I hunkered down with two girlfriends I snapped pictures of the movies we watched, the cocktails we drank, and the candles we lit after we lost power. I even took note of funny things we said, like when my friends jokingly told me to sit on the fire escape during the height of the storm or when we remarked on how very dark it was without... light. None of us expected the storm to be very bad, or for the darkness to last very long.

The next morning we took a walk and saw debris lining my friend's neighborhood, the flood waters having come within a few blocks of where we were staying. We saw the damage to buildings that has a friend still without power, water and heat. As we walked to regain cell phone service, news of the devastation across our city came pouring in. A friend's neighborhood under water. Another friend's home destroyed. Neighbors stuck on high floors without elevators and without much to eat. And countless other stories from Sandy's wake.

Thankfully, in the last week I've also seen and heard more encouraging stories. Friends climbing 20 flights of stairs to deliver a hot meal to homebound neighbors. Friends spending day after day cleaning up their neighborhood and helping businesses recover. And people I don't know organizing people they don't know to help total strangers. It's hopeful.

So, if you'll pardon me being serious a little longer, and before returning to our regularly scheduled lighthearted blog posts, I'd like to give you a few ways to contribute to that effort if you feel so inclined.

Apostles Church Hurricane Sandy Relief
The church I attend has set up a relief fund to help New Yorkers affected by Sandy. Funds will go primarily to those in our church hurt by the storm, but also to organizations we've partnered with around the city.

Sandy's Wedding Registry
The Occupy folks (who, I'll admit, I've rolled my eyes at numerous times in Union Square) have creatively used an Amazon wedding registry to register for supplies needed in relief efforts. A great way to give and know exactly where your money is going.

Robin Hood Relief Fund

And if you're local, consider giving your time. You can find volunteer opportunities here, here, and here. Hope you and yours are safe, warm, and dry :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...