Thursday, April 4, 2013

1950s London

Untitled

I love a good movie or show set in another time period, don't you? It's like watching history come alive. Netflix knows this about me, that's why I have several "taste preference rows" (or whatever they're called) based on period films. (One is even called "Sentimental Romantic 20th Century Period Pieces" ...yikes, embarrassing.) So when I heard about Call the Midwife, set in 1950s London, I pretty much inhaled it.



Based off the memoirs of Jennifer Worth, who was a midwife in 1950s London, the show follows new midwife Jenny as she learn the ropes from her new friends and a few nuns. I wasn't initially drawn in by the idea of a show about midwives, but it ended up being really fascinating. And of course there's love interests, eccentric characters, and everything else you'd want from a great British period drama. The first season is available to watch on Netflix, and the second season just started on PBS! It's a good holdover until Downton is back.

Photo via the BBC.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...