Friday, January 20, 2012

A Beautiful Day In This Neighborhood

IMG_1803

IMG_1803

Isn't it funny when a memory comes out of nowhere? Riding the subway this morning, I started thinking about an old Esquire profile of Fred Rogers that's stayed with me since I read it in college. In it, Tom Junod describes a time when Mr. Rogers took the subway with a friend when they couldn't get a cab in the rain. Once on the subway, they found themselves in a packed car, full of mostly school-aged children on their way home. Recognizing Mr. Rogers, the children began to sing. "They just sang. They sang, all at once, all together, the song he sings at the start of his program, 'Won't You Be My Neighbor?' and turned the clattering train into a single soft, runaway choir."

If you have an hour to spare and feel like smiling, you can read the entire profile here.

Happy Friday, everyone! I hope it's a beautiful day in your neighborhood :)

Cardigan photo via The Fred Rogers Company

1 comment:

  1. this made my heart smile. will definitely read the whole profile when i get a chance!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...